Meeting notes from Monday August 22, 7pm
With Guest Eric Davis of the CMS School board
These are the highlights and discussion points from the meeting
- Sedgefield Montessori School uses the land for class activates
- The space is idea for neighbors with pets for walks
- CMS can later move the track (relocate) and use the recovered space for school addition
- There needs to be a larger group compromise involving: CMS/County Comm/City/Private business/Neighborhood Assoc./CDOT/Civic groups/Parks Dept.
- CMS funds come from everywhere and are spent everywhere, so don’t be upset if Sedgefield Land is sold and not reinvested here
- Impact on Wetlands and the loss of old Growth trees …how to protect these and not loose these resources
- Connectivity: This is a critical space that bikers, walkers and commuters use to connect Southend, South Blvd, Sedgefield, Dilworth as well as commerce and business sites (Jeanne Woosley)
- Butterfly part is about 10 acres….need to confirm, the park needs more space.
- Investigate the importance of the Tree Canopy and Tre Ordnances
- Potential land Swap: CMS could sell whatever land it gets, Sedgefield gets to grow park
- Timing is still key here…what can be done to extend this time frame
- Split the land and sell less of it for more money
- Split the land and keep some of it to grow the park
- Make the space available for area sports fields and practice fields
- What happens when all the lad is sold, what will CMS do?
- If CMS wants buy in and support from the surrounding neighborhood schools, then CMS should support the needs of the neighborhood…Don’t sell this land
- Learn about the history of the CMS Eastway land sale…what happened
- General feeling of CMS is to compromise vs sell land for profit, they just want the money still? Eric agrees to talk to board and investigate comprise
- One member of the audience voice an official No Vote for Plute as the buyer (poor quality) and several other attendees agreed
- Need professional money/fund raising help to build partnerships with private businesses
- Improve the schools (Sedgefield) and then the people will come
- Trade land at elementary school
- What is expiration of Pulte offer?
- Host Bike events with police or mayor to showcase the land/space
- Visit Sedgefield School open houses so parents will know they are losing this land